You don’t have to be from North Carolina to love muscadines–but is it true that there are health benefits to eating grapes? Some even associate regular wine consumption with longevity and overall health improvements, including improved wellness of the heart (via National Library of Medicine), skin, and lungs (via Frontiers in Physiology). In this article, we will be looking specifically at the benefits and effects of muscadine supplements for heart health—including why you should include more muscadines in your diet and where to find high-quality antioxidant supplements. Keep reading for more on the mighty muscadine!
Muscadine Supplements for Heart Health: 101
Are Muscadine Grapes Good for You?
Muscadine grapes are a type of grape native to the Southeastern United States and are known for their high concentration of antioxidants like resveratrol and ellagic Acid-containing polyphenolics. These antioxidants are powerful compounds that provide numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, protecting against oxidative stress, and supporting heart health.
Resveratrol is a polyphenol found in the skin of muscadine grapes that has been extensively studied for its antioxidant properties. It has been shown to protect against oxidative damage, reduce inflammation, and improve heart health by lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of heart disease. Resveratrol has also been shown to have anti-cancer properties, helping to slow the growth of cancer cells and prevent the spread of the disease.
Ellagic acid containing polyphenolics, also found in muscadine grapes, is a group of compounds that have potent antioxidant properties. These compounds have been shown to protect against oxidative stress and reduce inflammation, helping to reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer. Ellagic acid containing polyphenolics have also been shown to support healthy aging by reducing the effects of aging on cells and tissues, leading to a healthier and longer lifespan. (For a deeper dive into the potential health benefits of muscadines, check out our recent article on the topic!)
Top 7 Reasons to Take Muscadine Supplements Regularly
With an almost mythological status, the humble muscadine grape offers a tremendous number of health benefits—largely due to its high antioxidant count, especially resveratrol and polyphenolics. There are other benefits associated with the muscadine as well, however. These include:
· Reduced inflammation: Both Resveratrol and Ellagic Acid Containing Polyphenolics have anti-inflammatory properties, helping to reduce inflammation throughout the body.
· Protection against oxidative stress: Antioxidants like Resveratrol and Ellagic Acid Containing Polyphenolics help protect against oxidative stress, which can lead to cell damage and increase the risk of chronic diseases.
· Heart health support: These antioxidants have been shown to improve heart health by lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of heart disease.
· Anti-cancer properties: Resveratrol has been shown to have anti-cancer properties, helping to slow the growth of cancer cells and prevent the spread of the disease.
· Supports healthy aging: Ellagic acid-containing polyphenolics have been shown to support healthy aging by reducing the effects of aging on cells and tissues.
· Improved immune system function: Antioxidants like Resveratrol and ellagic acid-containing polyphenolics can help improve the immune system’s function, helping protect against illness and disease.
· Better skin health: The antioxidants in muscadine grape supplements can help improve skin health by reducing the effects of oxidative stress and inflammation.
· Improved brain function: Some studies have shown that Resveratrol can improve brain function, including memory and learning.
Muscadine grape supplements are a great way to add antioxidants and numerous health benefits to your diet. Whether you are looking to support heart health, improve skin health, or protect against oxidative stress and inflammation from regular physical workouts, it’s clear that the muscadine offers ample benefit for its small size.
What Is Oxidative Stress?
Oxidative stress is a condition in which the body’s natural antioxidant defenses are overwhelmed by an excess of harmful molecules called free radicals. These free radicals can cause damage to cells, tissues, and DNA, leading to a variety of health problems. Oxidative stress has been linked to a range of chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease.]
One of the main reasons why oxidative stress is bad for your physical, mental, and emotional well-being is that it can cause damage to cells and tissues.
When free radicals damage cells and tissues, they can impair their function, leading to a range of health problems. For example, oxidative stress has been linked to the development of cardiovascular disease, as it can cause damage to the walls of blood vessels, leading to inflammation and the formation of plaques.
Oxidative stress can also have a negative impact on mental and emotional well-being. Chronic oxidative stress has been linked to depression and anxiety, as well as cognitive decline and memory problems. Additionally, oxidative stress can affect the brain by damaging neurons and causing inflammation, leading to problems with mood, behavior, and cognition.
Antioxidants and Heart Wellness
You’ve likely heard before that antioxidants are good for you—but what do they do for you, specifically concerning the heart? Here are some of the positive effects of antioxidants on your heart:
· Reduction of oxidative stress: Antioxidants like Resveratrol and Ellagic Acid Containing Polyphenolics found in muscadines help reduce oxidative stress, which can lead to cell damage and increase the risk of heart disease.
· Lowering of blood pressure: These antioxidants have been shown to improve heart health by lowering blood pressure, reducing the risk of heart disease.
· Reduction of inflammation: Antioxidants found in muscadines have anti-inflammatory properties, helping to reduce inflammation in the body, including in the heart and blood vessels.
· Protection against cardiovascular disease: By reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, muscadine antioxidants may protect against cardiovascular disease, including heart attacks and strokes.
· Improved circulation: Antioxidants like Resveratrol can improve circulation, reducing the risk of heart disease and promoting overall heart health.
· Enhanced endothelial function: The endothelium is the inner lining of blood vessels, and antioxidants found in muscadines have been shown to improve its function, reducing the risk of heart disease.
· Reduced risk of plaque formation: Oxidative stress and inflammation can lead to the formation of plaques in the blood vessels, increasing the risk of heart disease. Antioxidants found in muscadines may help reduce the risk of plaque formation.
Muscadine Supplements for Heart Health with Muscadine Naturals
Antioxidants found in muscadines may have numerous positive effects on heart health, including reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, lowering blood pressure, protecting against cardiovascular disease, improving circulation, enhancing endothelial function, and reducing the risk of plaque formation. Incorporating muscadine supplements into your diet can help support heart health and reduce the risk of heart disease—but you don’t have to eat them regularly to still enjoy the benefits!